Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day Trip! Trümmelbach & Reichenbachfall Waterfalls

Hey everyone! So I decided to share some pics and stories with you today about my day. Basically to share what my day was like with you. So first of all, today is my dad's birthday! Happy birthday to the greatest dad ever-I love you so much!

Since it was a birthday and in our house birthdays are quite special..I knew it would be a long day full of activity and fun! My morning began with me forcing myself to get out of bed at 8:30 in the morning. Why in the world was I waking up at 8:30 AM when it's summertime? Well, I was going on a 5km run because I've been intently following a training plan to help build up my runs and overall strength! I knew that there would be no time the rest of the day so I convinced myself to go at that time. I always find it so hard to get up early and go on runs but afterwards it feels so worth it! The reason for this is that you now have the rest of the day ahead of you not having to worry about finding a time to workout. Anyways, after I completed my hot and sweaty cardio, I came back home, washed my face to get rid of all the sweat and dirt pores that built up while I was exercising, and got dressed. My outfit for this humid/rainy day was a navy flowered romper from H&M, peachy converse and a gray jacket from Brandy Melville!

Then, after we were all good to go we drove over to Zürich to one of our favorite brunch places for a birthday breakfast at 10:30AM. The restaurant is called Fork & Bottle and it's SO yummy! I love it because it's American cuisine and not only are there very few breakfast places in general in Switzerland; there's hardly any 'American' cuisine to be found. Brunch is served only Sundays so lucky for us my dad's birthday was on a Sunday this year! Since last year we tried to come for brunch on his birthday and realized it was Saturday, so ended up eating hamburgers ;)






After our very tasty breakfast consisting of pancakes, bacon, and a lazy banana smoothie for me, we started our drive towards Lauterbrunnen (near Interlaken) where we would venture off and look at the Trümmelbach waterfalls! The ride went by fairly quickly because I was reading most of the time. The new book that I began recently is called,"The Beginning of Everything". It reminds me a lot of 'The Fault in our Stars' due to the romantic love story being told in the book. So, after our windy drive in and out of tunnels we made it to the falls!

Once we got to the Trümmelbach Falls we took the elevator up some of the mountain to begin looking at all 10 waterfalls, making our way down the mountain from the tenth to the first fall. The really cool thing about these waterfalls is that you're literally inside a mountain looking over onto the powerful streams of water gushing down. Inside the mountain is almost cave-like with ALOT of steps so be prepared for some slippery walking. The waterfalls are so beautiful and majestic and it's crazy to be standing so close to such a massive stream of water with water spraying at you like those misters in theme parks. After looking at all the little sections of waterfalls and rock configurations we finally arrived back at the bottom; after a few polaroids along the way of course. Below are some pictures of our first amazing waterfall adventure: Trümmelbach Falls!














The second part of our exciting day included yet another waterfall...except this one was very different and would take an interesting turn none of us quite expected. After getting a bit turned around from Nelly the annoying navigation system and randomly spotting the world's largest cowbell on the side of the street...we found our next destination: Reichenbachfalls! Reichenbachfalls is not only a grand, beautiful waterfall but it's also where Sherlock Holmes fell to his death after fighting his enemy. So, if anyone is a Sherlock fan this is your place to go :) Personally, I don't really like Sherlock Holmes but my dad does so we decided to check another place off our list.



To get to the waterfall we first had to ride on a cute, open-air funicular [small train]. The ride was super steep but worth it because once you got up it was the best view of this huge gushing waterfall! After a couple pics we began our ascent to the top of the mountain/waterfall. What felt like a million steps later we arrived! It was honestly so breathtaking looking down on the waterfall and views of Switzerland all around. Now that we had made it to the top, my dad wanted to find the plaque of Sherlock at the place where he stood when he fell to his death. There were not many signs  pointing to the direction of it so we walked around a bit looking for it, running into some highland cows (which my mom is obsessed with) along the way and then finally deciding to ask the restaurant for help. Turns out we had to walk down this steep, rocky path for quite awhile, veer to the left and finally we made it! But now we incurred a slight problem...







The walk was quite long to get to the fight scene and walking back up seemed tortuous considering we had already done a boat-load of walking today. So, now we were in a rut, not only did walking back up that hill seem horrible, we only had half an hour till the last train ride went back down the mountain and we were currently standing half way down the opposite side. So we decided we would have to walk all the way down and let me tell you it was not a short stroll. It was straight down walking through the forest with tons of rocky paths. Definitely a crazy end to our long, fun-filled day but it ended with me making and winning a bet with my dad about when we would arrive back at the car ;) Finally, after a tiring and lonely hike down the mountain, (lonely because we were the only crazy people hiking down this mountain in converse while a storm was brewing)! But, back at the car we now were and so then the drive home began.

Once we got home it was a quick turnaround because we still hadn't made my dad's birthday cake! We made a strawberry shortcake cake which was delicious! I also helped my mom get dinner ready consisting of baked potatoes and sausages/hotdogs. After our dinner I came upstairs and now here I am typing to you and reflecting on this jam-packed yet memorable day. Now, we or I guess my dad will go open his presents and we'll probably finish the night watching Big Brother on TV.

I hope you enjoyed reading this little update/day travel adventure and be sure to follow my blog so that you can be notified when I post next! Happy Birthday once again to my dad; I hope you had as amazing a day as I did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment